White Route Tab

Play Video
Emergency Ride Home

What is Emergency Ride Home?

If you commute to work by bike, bus, carpool/vanpool, or walking, you may be concerned with how to get home quickly in case of an emergency. The Cascades West Rideshare Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program is here to help.

Emergency Ride Home is a FREE service providing you a trip home by taxi ($50 maximum per trip) or rental car (150 miles maximum per trip) if you or a family member experiences an illness or emergency, including a home emergency. You also can use ERH if you have unscheduled overtime (supervisor's approval required) or your carpool/vanpool driver has an emergency and leaves early.

Am I eligible for Emergency Ride Home?
To be eligible for ERH, you must:
  • Be a member of Drive Less Connect (anyone can join for free at
  • Work in Benton, Linn or Lincoln County.
  • Enroll in the ERH program (instructions below), and
  • Commute by bike, bus, carpool, vanpool, or walking on the day you need to use ERH.
How do I participate?
  1. Log in or sign up for Drive Less Connect at
  2. After you've completed your profile, click on "Commute Services" in the top bar. Click on "Enroll Now." DON'T WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY -- ENROLL TODAY! Read the guidelines, complete the application and submit. Your application will be processed and you will be notified by email of your acceptance into the program in 1-2 business days, or sooner.
  3. When you need to use ERH, just log into, click "Commute Services" and select "Request Emergency Ride Home." You can use a total of 2 vouchers per year.
  4. Enter the information requested on the voucher, follow the instructions, and print the voucher. You must complete the voucher in full for it to be processed.
  5. If your trip is under 20 miles, contact one of the taxi companies suggested on the voucher or another of your choice. If your trip is 20 miles or more, you have the option of getting a car through Enterprise Rent-A-Car. NOTE: If you are unable to drive, or if you need a ride when the Enterprise Rent-A-Car office is closed, you will be able to choose a taxi option even if your ride is over 20 miles. You will be asked to document this when you fill out your voucher. FYI, the Albany Enterprise Rent-A-Car office is open 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. M-F and closed weekends. The Corvallis office is open 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. M-F and 9 a.m.-Noon weekends. The Newport office is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. M-F and closed weekends. Please contact the closest office).
  6. IF TAKING A RENTAL CAR: Call the number listed on the voucher to arrange your ride. You will be required to present a valid driverís license and a credit card (for confirmation and any incidentals only; your credit card will not be charged for qualifying trips, up to 150 miles. Beyond 150 miles, you will be charged, 20 cents per mile). You will turn in your voucher (see step 4 above) to the Enterprise staff, who will fill out the top portion and submit to Cascades West Rideshare for payment. Your employment supervisorís signature is required on the voucher to verify the ERH trip, but if your supervisor is not available before you submit it to Enterprise, please just provide his/her name and phone number.
  7. IF TAKING A TAXI: You will pay for the ride and Cascades West will reimburse you later. Keep a receipt showing the cost, mileage, date, and the name of the provider company. If a receipt isn't available, ask the driver to fill out the top portion of the voucher, which says "To be completed by service provider." When you return to work, obtain your supervisor's signature on the voucher to verify the ERH trip. Mail the completed voucher with receipt within 2 weeks of the ERH occurrence to: Cascades West Rideshare, 1400 Queen Ave SE Suite 205A, Albany OR 97322. You should receive your reimbursement in 1-2 weeks.   

Where will ERH take me?

Qualifying trips include to your home; to a transit stop; to a medical facility; to the location where your vehicle is parked (for example, a park-and-ride lot); or for qualifying side-trips such as picking up an ill child at school. All locations must be documented on the voucher ("Additional Notes" line).

Important information

  • You can use ERH a maximum of 2 times per year.
  • Maximum reimbursement per taxi trip is $50. Charges above $50 are your responsibility. Maximum distance per rental car trip is 150 miles. Charges above 150 miles are your responsibility.
  • If you have questions, call Cascades West Rideshare at 541-924-8480.
  • You cannot use ERH for a ride to work, personal errands, business travel, appointments, non-emergency side trips, previously scheduled overtime, or working late without a supervisor's approval. You also cannot use ERH in place of an ambulance trip to a hospital, because of inclement weather, if you were late for your carpool/vanpool/bus, or because of personal vehicle or bike failure.
  • ERH is only available to employees. (If student-employees use the program, it must be for work-related purposes).
  • ERH vouchers are non-transferable.
  • Cascades West does not assume liability for personal injury or loss of property.
  • If you have mobility needs, please contact us in advance at 541-924-8480.

What if I don't work in Linn, Benton or Lincoln Counties? 

ĀCherriots Rideshare has an Emergency Ride Home program serving employees of specific organizations in the greater Salem area (Marion, Polk and Yamhill Counties). Call 503-371-7665 for information.
Point2point at Lane Transit District has an Emergency Ride Home program serving specific organizations in the Eugene/Springfield metropolitan area. Call 541-682-6213 for information.

What is Drive Less Connect?

Now that you're registered at, use the site any time to find a carpool, track your achievements including financial savings, and win prizes! Click on "Ridematch" in the top blue bar to create a trip and find a carpool or vanpool. Click on "Calendar" to track any trips you make by bus, bike, teleworking, carpool, vanpool or walking, (for work or play!) and you'll be eligible to win prizes such as gift cards to local restaurants and coffee shops. It's free, easy and secure.


For Valley Vanpoolers:

The vanpool vendor serving our region, Enterprise, has their own Emergency Ride Home
programs. If you are a member of a Valley Vanpool van, contact the vendor for your group for information.
Enterprise Rideshare: Chris Carcich,

Vanpool members who work in Linn, Benton and Lincoln Counties are eligible to use the Cascades West ERH program but should contact their vanpool vendor first when possible.